State-run Iranian television has blamed inmates for the violence that took place at Evin Prison’s Cell Block 350 on April 17th. In a so-called “documentary”, the network said some prisoners resisted a routine inspection on the block, resulting in a number of people being injured.
But relatives dispute claims that the program was filmed in Cell Block 350, saying much of the footage does not resemble the block. “We have no idea where the scenes were recorded,” said the wife of one inmate.
Family members of those assaulted in last week’s raid were allowed visitation rights on Monday, April 21st.
Despite publication of firsthand accounts of the violence, prison authorities and hardliner politicians continue to deny that security guards launched a violent attack on political prisoners at the Tehran prison. The claims were dismissed as “counter-revolutionary” rumors spread by the BBC and other western media.