Iranian authorities have announced the dates for the start of the trials of two Iranian women journalists who are being prosecuted for covering the events surrounding Mahsa Amini’s death in police custody.
Elahe Mohammadi will go on trial on May 29, followed by Niloofar Hamidi's trial on May 30, judiciary spokesperson Masoud Setayeshi said on May 23, eight months after the two were incarcerated.
Setayeshi claimed that the journalists’ lawyers have been granted access to the documents of the case, which their families deny.
The charges against the two journalists include collaborating with the "hostile" government of the United States, colluding to commit crimes against national security, and engaging in propaganda activities against the regime. The accusations could carry the death penalty.
Branch 15 of the Revolutionary Court is handling the case.
Hamedi, a reporter for the Tehran-based Shargh Daily, was arrested in September after publishing a photograph of Amini's parents in Tehran’s Kasra Hospital, a few days after the young woman’s death.
Mohammadi of the daily newspaper HamMihan was taken into custody for her coverage of Amini's funeral in her hometown of Saqqez.
Hamedi’s husband, Mohammad Hossein Ajarloo, recently said that the two have been transferred from Qarchak prison to the women's ward of Tehran’s Evin prison.
Human rights groups and media freedom watchdogs have condemned the arrest and prosecution of Hamedi and Mohammadi, and the Islamic Republic’s ongoing clampdown on dissent and the media.
Earlier this month, Mohammadi and Hamedi, along with jailed activist Narges Mohammadi, were awarded UNESCO's Guillermo Cano World Press Freedom Prize “for their commitment to truth and accountability.”
Time magazine included both Mohammadi and Hamedi in its 2023 list of 100 most influential people.