Iranian journalist Niloofar Hamidi vehemently rejected all the accusations against her as her trial kicked off behind closed doors on May 30, her husband says.
Mohammad Hossein Ajorlo took to Twitter to say that Hamedi's family was prevented from attending the hearing before Branch 15 of the Tehran Revolutionary Court, adding to concerns about transparency and due process.
The defendant emphasized her commitment to fulfilling her journalistic duties within all legal frameworks and maintained that her work posed no threat to Iran's security, he said.
The journalist’s legal team was denied the opportunity to present a defense during the two-hours hearing, Ajarlo said, adding that the date for the next court session is yet to be determined.
Hamidi and another woman journalist, Elaheh Mohammadi, are accused of collaborating with the "hostile" government of the United States, colluding to commit crimes against national security, and engaging in propaganda activities against the regime.
The charges, which could carry the death penalty, stem from their coverage of the death of Mahsa Amini in police custody last year.
During the opening session of Mohammadi’s trial on May 29, her lawyer was denied the opportunity to present a defense.
Human rights groups and media freedom watchdogs have condemned the arrest and prosecution of Hamedi and Mohammadi, as well as the Islamic Republic’s ongoing clampdown on dissent and the media.
More than 520 people were killed during demonstrations sparked by Amini’s death and over 20,000 others were unlawfully detained, including dozens of journalists, activists say. Following biased trials, the judiciary has handed down stiff sentences to protesters.