The governor of the Iranian province of Fars has said that foreigners are now banned from residing near the Shahcheragh Shrine in the city of Shiraz after two deadly attacks on the Shia religious site over the past year.
"As per the recent edict, foreign nationals are now prohibited from residing within 57 hectares around the sacred shrines. Exceptions can only be granted by the Intelligence Department following an individual or group's request," Governor Mohammad Imanieh said on August 23.
Imanieh insisted that no employer in Shiraz is permitted to hire foreign workers for construction, horticulture or agricultural work in the area without explicit authorization from the Intelligence Department.
He warned that property owners and employers who violate the edict will face legal consequences, including security charges.
One person was reported killed and eight others were wounded in an August 13 attack on the Shahcheragh mausoleum. And in October 2022, 15 people were killed in an assault on the Shia mausoleum.
Officials have blamed foreign nationals for both incidents.
The government executed two Afghan nationals for their role in last year’s attack.