The family of a 26-year-old Iranian protester killed a year ago says it has canceled a planned ceremony commemorating the first anniversary of his death after coming under intense pressure from security forces.
Milad Saeedianjo’s brother, Omid, said on his Instagram page that the ceremony, scheduled for November 16 at the gravesite in Rasfand village, “will not be held.”
The move came in the wake of the arrest three days ago of Saeedianjo’s sister, Zahra, who has been detained multiple times in the past year.
"We are all in a bad state... Above all, mom is in a very bad state. Only Zahra could calm her but Zahra is not here. What should we do? What did we do? How much pain should we suffer?" Omid asked.
Last month, Zahra announced she had been attacked by unknown individuals on a motorcycle.
Earlier, she was dismissed from her job as a nurse in a children's hospital in Tehran.
Milad Saeedianjo was killed on November 16, 2022, in Izeh when government forces opened fire on protesters on the evening of November 16, 2022.